- There will be some resentment ( penentangan ) especially from your older staffs.
- Power if used with care, can help you advance much more.
- You want people to do what you want by making them WANT TO DO IT
You should :
Be Likeable ( disukai)
- It is hard to give your staff everything he wants.
- But you can give him the feeling that he is important.
- He will like you as his superior.
Avoid making Enemies.
- We may have enemy above us ( our boss ) or below us ( our staff ).
- Enemies are Not Made but Cultivated ( dipupuk/disemai )
- Especially your boss or your equal level office mate, do not offend them by telling them that they are wrong right in the face ( too direct lah )
- Be more diplomatic by bringing them around to understand your point of view.
Keep Your Power a Secret.
- If your staff request something, don’t always say “ Yes “ all the time even if the answer is “ Yes “ and you can fulfill his request. Maintain that respect of him towards you.
- Secretly get his request approved or done and he will respect you more.
- Do not tell if you are close to some one in higher position person. ( Jangan cakap baik dgn orang tu orang ni kat HQ ) . Keep them guessing if necessary.
- Power is useful if people can guess but sometime more useful if they cannot guess.
Double your power.
- You could use your staff or your equal partner to double your power :
- Think of them as friends, not just staff, you combine your knowledge and his knowledge and synergize ( win-win ) .
- First you maintain your good reputation, then help him to have a good reputation even if not in the same expertise.
- These combination can make you and her a good team.
Praise , not Criticise.
- Criticise is bad, encouragement is good.
- Make staff feel he needs to improve, not to run away.
- Staff then will be interested in continuous improvement curve, and you will get a competent staff.
Do Not abuse your power.
- Types of Power can be : Your Expertise/Knowledge/skill, Emotional, Political ( office ) and Circumstantial ( keadaan ).
- Example lah : Expertise – your knowledge is an asset to the company because of your skill. Semua tau. But do not use this to threaten the company/boss for personal gain.
- Remember…. You maybe almost INDISPENSABLE ( tak boleh diketepikan ) but you are not Irreplaceable ( tak boleh diganti ).
3-R of POWER.
- RECOGNISE your staffs and acknowledge that they have a desire to be important- just like you – and that you are in the position to give them that desire.
- REMAIN an Enigma, a mystery. If no one knows you have power, they cannot use that power against you.
- RESPECT the power you possess and do not abuse it.
Categories: English Version